Irish Distillers Ltd. offers a wide range of Single Pot Still Irish whiskeys and Blended Irish whiskeys crafted in the Midleton Distillery. Each style has its unique qualities and characteristics that help forge and define the identity of Irish whiskey.
"Spending 3 days at the Jameson Bartender Academy really showed me not only just about the whiskey itself but the place it comes from" - Don Lee, mixologist
You may think of us as just your favourite spirit, but it takes over 200 years of distilling expertise and skilled craftsmanship to create our triple distilled and perfectly balanced whiskey. From our founder, John Jameson, to our modern day Distillery Masters, the people of Jameson are what make it great.
Our whiskey’s story started on the 5th of October 1740 when John Jameson was born to a family whose motto, ‘Sine Metu’ (‘Without Fear’), was awarded to them for their bravery in battling pirates on the high seas in the 1500’s. To find out more about the Jameson story visit www.jamesonwhiskey.com.
It was at John's Lane that the Powers whiskey legend originated and gave rise to one of the most quintessentially, Irish whiskeys. James Power founded his distillery at Thomas St. in 1791 moving shortly thereafter to a larger site at John’s Lane near the western gate of Dublin. John Power & Son was the first Irish distiller to bottle its own whiskey, adopting a gold label exclusively for Powers bottled at John's Lane. The Gold Label guaranteed the higher quality and distinguished it from the White label Powers which was bottled by independent whiskey bonders. Hence it became customary, then in a public house, to call for a 'Gold Label'.
Following the formation of the Irish Distillers Group in 1966, which consisted of the distilling enterprises of Powers, Jameson and Cork Distilleries Company, a decision is taken to move all distillation operations to one central site in the town of Midleton, Co. Cork. Thus, in 1976, the Powers' John's Lane Distillery is closed. For more info please visit www.powerswhiskey.com.
A mention of the word Midleton amongst whiskey connoisseurs evokes feelings and images of quality, of luxury and of the reassurance that you are encountering the finest of whiskeys that the Midleton Distillery has to offer. Crafted with painstaking precision and working in harmony with the seasons, whiskeys which bear the Midleton name are truly special.
Inspiration for Midleton Whiskey is drawn from the 'terroir' of Midleton. The land is rich and fertile, the rivers flow freely with clean crisp water and the people possess a hand-craft, passed down through the ages. For more info please visit www.midleton.com.
W & A Gilbey was founded in 1857 and began in small basement cellars in London and by 1861 Gilbeys had premises at 31 O’Connell Street, and were described as wine importers and distillers.
The first official reference to the brand name 'Redbreast' appears in August 1912, and by the mid 1960s, Redbreast was being bottled annually in batches of approximately 4,000 gallons (18,000 litres) to satisfy a steady demand for the brand. In 1970, Irish Distillers Ltd. (IDL) decided to phase out the sales of bulk whiskey ‘by the cask’ to the wholesalers and retailers (bonders) who bottled it themselves. Gilbeys however, managed to persuade IDL to continue supplying them pure pot still whiskey for redbreast until the closure of Bow Street distillery in the summer of 1971. By 1991, Redbreast was re-introduced by Irish Distillers and the veritable pot still whiskey was given a thorough makeover and benefitted from Irish Distiller's revamped wood programme. For more info please visit www.redbreastwhiskey.com.
When the Mitchell Family entered the whiskey bonding business in 1887, it was at the peak of the Victorian whiskey boom and pot still Irish whiskey was at its summit. As was the norm for that time in Ireland, there were hundreds of merchants involved in the bonding trade - purchasing new make whiskey spirit under bond (i.e. excise tax was not payable) and maturing it themselves before bottling it for sale.
As a result, there was an abundance of whiskeys available on the market, many carrying the same distiller's name, and differentiated only by the name of the bonder and bottler. Due to the suspect practices of certain bonders, the quality varied significantly, and in time, distillers began to bottle their own whiskeys, thereby guaranteeing the quality of the final bottled whiskey. Thus, the practice of selling whiskey to bonders died out and with that, so did most of the bonder whiskey brands.
There were, however, a couple of brands that survived, probably due to the consistent quality standards which they employed, and the Spot whiskeys were one such brand. For more info please visit www.greenspotwhiskey.com.